Saturday, August 20, 2011

Too Many to Read!

Sadly, again I have been a poor blogger although I think I have a legitimate excuse. I did graduate from grad school and started my full and part time jobs... all within 7 days. I have not been doing as much reading as I would like to either. I have decided not to finish Her Fearful Symmetry. Sorry if you are someone who will gasp at that. I am getting over the "if I start a book I must finish it" thing. There are way too many books that I want to read, so why waste my time reading one that I am literally forcing myself to turn the pages? Basically, it was kind of boring and I have heard from more than one person that it was disappointing. 

Since I started and did not finish that book I read Jenny McCarthy's book. Surprisingly I did like it. I don't know if I agree with everything that she says, but I do think that the book was worth reading. There are two things that I don't agree with her on: 1) Autism is DEFINITELY caused by vaccines that damage a weakened immune system, and 2) Autism is curable. I believe that 1) Autism MAY have links to vaccines in SOME people, but that there is not enough valid research to prove it, and 2) Autism is treatable in the fact that children can make gains, but the person will always remain Autistic. I will give Jenny credit in that she did say that not every child can make as many improvements as her child, and that interventions and diets do not work for everyone. I think its good that she is not providing false hope to those who read her book.

Currently, I am reading Look Me in the Eye by John Elder Robinson; the book written from an adult who grew up with undiagnosed Asperger's. This book is good but not great. I think many of the chapters give people and professionals a peak into the minds of people with Asperger's, but other chapters are kind of boring. It is not as boring as Her Fearful Symmetry because I am going to finish it, but still not one of my favorites. The author is in to repairing musical instruments and things like that which I am not. I do think the chapters about his home life are very interesting. However, that does not mean that you shouldn't read it. I disagree with people's opinions all the time when it comes to books. I loved The Particular Sadness of Lemoncake and Erin hated it.

You know the two books that I have been waiting for? A Stolen Life and One Day? Well, I got them and now I have too many books to read. Annie let me borrow the first and the second one I finally got at the library. I am going to read One Day first because the movie is coming out and I want to see it in theaters.. I should be finished with the book I am reading now by tonight so I can start the other one! Before I got these two books I also checked out Still Life. So I might throw that one in there in between because it's a library book. Check the posts to see in what order I actually read these next 3. 

My week will be very exciting! Tomorrow I will be seeing my home health patients without my supervisor and the students are coming back to school at my full time job. Wish me luck! Good-bye summer for me!




1 comment:

  1. I can't wait till you start One Day! I'm flying through it, but that could be because I'm unemployed and living at home....with my mom who, coincidentally, saw my copy of Look Me In the Eye lying around and decided SHE wanted to start it. (I give her 2 days before abandonment.) I'm looking forward to reading it next, but it might be a skimmer. (I usually don't skim through parts like some people do when they read, but I'm with you right now on not spending time on ones that aren't total page-turners.) Anyway, thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete