Friday, August 5, 2011

Home grown tomatoes and a new book

Today I slept in VERY late. I won't even tell you how late. I woke up, fresh pressed some organic coffee (I just found an awesome organic coffee shop in Clintonville), showered, went to Staples and bought some office supplies, and then went into my school to organize my office. By the time I got home, it was around 5 o'clock and Chip and I decided we wanted to eat some of our fresh ripe cherry tomatoes and Big Boy tomatoes. We went to Fresh Market and got some thick smoked bacon to make BLTs. I decided to make mini caprese salad which was super easy to make. We also drank menage trois wine. If you love red wine, definitely try this wine. It's an all time fav!

Recipe: Juice an entire lemon, crush a small clove of garlic, squeeze fresh tubed basil, and pour 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil into a bowl. Mix well. Then, throw in cherry tomatoes, fresh mozarella, and your choice of black or green olives. (I chose almond stuffed green olives.) Chill and serve. Next time I would half the cherry tomatoes and cheese for easy eating. I didn't tonight because I thought it was prettier. Here is a pic. You may ooooh and ahhhh: 

Chip made the BLTs. He buttered the bread and baked it, grilled the thick smoked bacon, and sliced romaine lettuce and home grown tomatoes. We also used real mayo with olive oil. DELISH.


____________________________________________________

Last night I finished Incendiary. Definitely NOT a heart felt, light read. It left me in a strange mood. I can't believe how tragedy can affect people mentally. This woman was seriously disturbed by the devastation in her life, but the author did an amazing job of channeling this kind of emotional trauma. As I was reading, I left like I could imagine what it was like to be the narrator. Another thing that was strange was that you never learn the main character's name or the name of her son.  Even though it was just a novel, it made me think about how small the problems in my life are and that people live COMPLETELY different lives in this world. 

Tonight I am deciding between Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger and This is Where I leave You by Jonathan Tropper.  
                Vs.     

I'll update you soon on my choice. Happy Friday!
-Jacq

No comments:

Post a Comment