Monday, December 31, 2012

The Fault in our Stars

 
 If you haven't read a book in a while, this is a MUST READ. Absolutely one of the best books of 2012. It is up there with Tell the Wolves I'm Home. The author writes with honesty, wit, humor, and sorrow which kept me intrigued throughout the entire story.... One of those books you become obsessed with and can't think about anything else. I listened to this book on audio. The narrator did an excellent job. I would recommend this on audio to everyone. 

Hazel Lancaster is a young teenager living with terminal cancer. She has outlived her life expectancy due to an experimental medication. The story begins with Hazel's mother trying to lift her from a depression; forcing her to go to cancer support group. She would much rather lay around all day watching America's Next Top Model and Top Chef on DVR. To appease her mother, she begins to go. She meets witty, smart, and sarcastic Augustus Waters and her life is changed. He is in remission from cancer; which he traded in a leg for. Immediately upon laying eyes on Hazel, he is smitten.

The two are drawn to each other. They have much in common having known cancer so intimately. They bond over books, poetry, and how they want to be remembered after they die. They relationship is so raw; they talk of death freely as it is a part of life for them. I enjoyed how the two of them spoke to one another; here is an excerpt from their first meeting:

“He shook his head, just looking at me.
- "What?" I asked.
- "Nothing" he said.
- "Why are you looking at me like that?"
Augustus half smiled. "Because you`re beautiful. I enjoy looking at beautiful people, and I decided a while ago not to deny myself the simpler pleasures of existence." A brief awkward silence ensued. Augustus plowed through: "I mean, particularly given that, as you so deliciously pointed out, all of this will end in oblivion and everything."
I kind of scoffed or sighed or exhaled in a way that was vaguely coughy and then said, "I`m not beau-"
- "You are like a millennial Natalie Portman. Like V for Vendetta Natalie Portman."
- "Never seen it."
- "Really?" he asked. "Pixie-haired gorgeous girl dislikes authority and can`t help but fall for a boy she knows is trouble. It`s your autobiography, so far as I can tell."
His every syllable flirted. Honestly, he kind of turned me on. I didn`t even know that guys could turn me on - not, like, in real life.”
John Green

The Fault in Our Stars is a heartbreaking love story fit for both teens and adults. It left me thinking about how I would want to be remembered when I die. This book will stay with me for a long time to come. Do yourself a favor and read it! You won't regret it. I give this book 5/5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment