Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn is my latest read. I love creepy psychological thrillers that keep the pages turning. Camille Preacher, the main character in this story, is a reporter for a crappy newspaper in Chicago. She came to the city 8 years ago in order to flee her dyfunctional family. Camille has a lot of pent up grief that she never dealt with after the too soon death of her younger sister. She and her mother have a difficult relationship because of it. The only attention Camille's mother paid to her in 8 years was during a stay in a psychological hospital. Other than that, her mother is cold, distant, and neurotic. After Marion's death, a new daughter came along...a sister Camille bearly knows.

Begrudgingly, Camille travels to her hometown on her boss's assignment in order report on what may be a serial killing spree. Two girls were murdered within one year of one another. Both girls were found strangled to death with all of their teeth extracted post mortem. Camille is determined to find out the truth behind these murders if only to appease her boss. Being back in her hometown brings out the worst in Camille and requires her to deal with her skeletons. The descriptions of the town were creepy. Seemingly insignificant characters left me feeling uneasy.

Flynn toys with her readers in this book. Initially, the reader is forced to infer details about the plot line. I felt as if I were being dragged along without any of the details that I really wanted to know. The next chapter would be filled with immense detail answering many of my questions. I felt as if Camille, the narrator, could only open up at certain times; other instances appearing closed off and distant. Each page was a different Camille. 

As with Gone Girl, this story is best read without knowing much, if any, about the plot line. This book both entertained and scared me. As I write this, I don't want to be in a room by myself. I was left haunted by the mystery of mental illness and how it can drive people to do unthinkable things to themselves and to others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment