Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

 

I am the worst blogger. You want to know why? Well, it's for a few reasons. 1) Because I have an addiction to other people's blogs and Teachers Pay Teachers. I can't stop looking at speech therapy blogs and browsing materials online. 2) I can't stop laminating 3) I got engaged YAY! and 4) the book that I have been reading is really bad.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close has been on my night stand for OVER A MONTH. I finally came to the realization that yes I am really busy, but if this book were that good then I would have finished it by now. I just picked it up to read it again and I decided it wasn't worth it. I will just check out the movie. I am over the whole "I will read a book until it's finished" thing. 

This book is about a young boy named Oskar who lost his father on 9/11. He finds a key that belonged to his father and he sets out to find out what it unlocks. I thought the plot sounded intensely emotional and I wanted to hear how a child narrator would explain how 9/11 affected him and his family.

The reason that the book isn't that great is the writing. I think the plot is fantastic. I actually wish that I had enough patience to read the whole thing, but I just can't follow it. The story has parts narrated by Oskar (who may or may not be on the high functioning end of the autism spectrum). His part didn't bother me. There are other sections of the book that are written by Oskar's grandmother. his grandfather, and his father; however, you as the reader are never told that. You just have to figure out who is telling the story. Also, the dialogue is not written with quotation marks! You just have to figure out who is talking to who.

Basically, I am just over this book. If I would have read it start to finish in a more timely manner I am sure that I would have enjoyed it more. The reason I am not that into it is probably my own fault. I am definitely going to watch the movie. Maybe that will spark me into picking it up and finishing it.

I think that where I currently am with my life that I need a very fast paced book.... I think I am going to go pick up a Gillian Flynn book.

No comments:

Post a Comment