Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress

 

My current read is Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen. I wanted to read this book for a long time because I thought that the synopsis on the back of the book sounded interesting: A forty something woman was raised Mennonite (you know the religion where women wear the little bonnets and long dresses who aren't allowed to dance or partake in anything secular?) and married outside of her church. She was left by her husband after over a decade of marriage for a man he found on gay.com. Sounds pretty interesting, right? The book got nice reviews saying that it was a funny and memorable memoir. To be honest, I disagree. It is a very short book that I thought would have taken me a day or two to read. I have been reading it for about a week now and I can't wait for it to be over. Don't get me wrong, some parts are quite funny, but I thought that it was going to be much better. I am still reading it and I find it to be a bit boring.

I am currently looking for my next exciting summer read. It is my turn to pick the next book for my book club, but I am stuck! Last summer I had a long list of books that I couldn't wait to read, but I feel like the only book that people are raving about right now is Fifty Shades of Gray. I will probably read it to see what the hype it about, but I want something better. I am looking for the next Water for Elephants kind of book. Hopefully I will find it soon.... Until then I am going to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

Happy reading!

-Jacq

No comments:

Post a Comment