Saturday, August 25, 2012

In the Woods by Tana French

 
I had wanted to read this book for a long time. Everything that I heard about it was  fantastic. It took me a while to find a chance to read it. I always saw it in the bookstores and it was always on my list of to-read books. Finally, when I was in the used bookstore a few weeks ago, I found it and decided to start right away. Erin and I were between books, so it was the perfect opportunity.

This story is about a man, named Adam Ryan (or Rob Ryan as he calls himself in the book). When he was a child, he was playing with his two friends in the woods. They went missing for a while, and when Ryan was found, his friends were not. Ryan was found bloody and in shock. He lost all memories of what happened. Even as an adult he could not remember what happened on that fearful day. 

Ryan grew up to be a detective. One day, he is assigned a case near where he grew up, not far from the woods in which he was found. Soon, memories start coming back and he thinks that the two cases may be related. 

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't wait for this book to be over. For a mystery, it was simply not fast paced enough. For the first half of the book NOTHING happened. I kept thinking that the two cases were going to align very quickly and that the plot would thicken. Each chapter was a let down. I didn't feel like the character development was rich enough either. FINALLY, the last few chapters were good. I stayed up to see what happened. I had so many unanswered questions and I thought they were finally going to be answered. Unfortunately, I was let down yet again in the last chapter. 

Who of you enjoyed this book? Anyone? Is there something that I missed? Please let me know. For those of you who haven't read it, I would not recommend this if you enjoy mysteries. 





No comments:

Post a Comment