Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Vs. Movies

 
Reading books and then watching a movie based on that book is one of my favorite things to do. More often than not, the book is always better. There is one exception to this rule: the movie "The Notebook" was WAY better than the book by Nicholas Sparks. I thought the book was written for second graders. Here is my list of books that are better than the movie:
Kite Runner
Gone with the Wind
The Da Vinci Code
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Water for Elephants
Something Borrowed
To Kill a Mockingbird
White Oleander
The Other Bolelyn Girl
Rebecca
My Sister's Keeper
The Secret Life of Bees
The Lovely Bones 
(And many more. If you haven't read any of these books and want me to comment on some of them, let me know)

There are three books that have been made into movies which I am very upset I didn't read before I saw the movie: In Her Shoes by Jennifer Wiener, The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger, and The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
 ____________________________________________________________________________________
Anyway, so I just saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 in theaters on Sunday night.  
 
The movie was phenomenal. I cried through the whole thing. Chip was sitting next to me and he said, "This isn't even a sad part!" I had to be like, "You don't know what's coming!! You didn't read the book!" Haha. The movie was so good, but they left out so many important parts of the story. They didn't get into Dumbledore's past, Harry's family tree, the major parts about the Weasley family, or tell everything about Professor Snape. Now, I realize it's a movie and they can't put everything in, but all of the books are so worth reading. Reading the Harry Potter series was seriously life changing. Even though I started reading the books in college, I kind of I grew up with the characters. Honestly, I felt like I really knew them personally. Only true Harry Potter fans understand. For those of you who have seen the movie, let me know what you thought about the Harry Potter books vs. the movies.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with you about the harry potter movies and books. In retrospect, the whole entire series (books and movies) together is absolutely phenomenal. I read the first book when i was 13 and was stoked when i heard there was going to be a movie and it did not disappoint---it only enhanced the other books for me. I think that's why we get so worked up about it, because we KNOW how much more there is, and we only want people to experience how great it can be if you only watch the movies( and especially enjoy them!). Also, side note, i saw the movie in 3d too, wasn't quite sure if i was going to be into it...but it was sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the time travelers wife is one of the best and most original books i've read, all while being a boy-meets-girl classic. the movie does NOT do it justice, even if rachel mcaddams stars in it! i wouldn't even necessarily recommend the movie on its own; the book is so full of love and longing that you just have to get into it yourself, not from the point of view of the screenwriter.

    ReplyDelete